Exceptional undergraduate students at UNC Charlotte may be accepted into the Professional Science Masters or Graduate Certificate program in Data Science and Business Analytics and begin work toward a graduate degree before completion of the baccalaureate degree.
- Early Entry students may have acceptance to the graduate program, pending the award of the baccalaureate degree, generally within two semesters.
- This early entry program is also accelerated in which up to 12 hours earned at the graduate level may be substituted for required undergraduate hours. In other words, up to 12 hours of graduate work may be "double counted" toward both the baccalaureate and PSM degree, and up to 12 hours for the Graduate Certificate
- Early Entry students will be charged undergraduate tuition and fees for all courses (graduate and undergraduate) for which they register. Upon completion of the baccalaureate degree, students will be charged graduate tuition and fees.
- A student may be accepted into the Data Science and Business Analytics Early-Entry Program at any time after completion of 75 semester hours of undergraduate work applicable to the appropriate degree although it is expected that close to 90 hours will have been earned by the time the first graduate course is taken.
- Submit a completed application through the graduate schools Online Admissions Portal. The application process and all required documentation (e.g., test scores, transcripts, letters of recommendation) are the same for early entry students as for other applicants to the program.
- At least a 3.2 overall GPA
- Admission must be recommended by the Department and approved by the Graduate School. The admission status will be “provisional" pending the award of the undergraduate degree.
Continued Enrollment Requirements
- Once admitted, a student must complete an Early-Entry Course Approval Form and have it approved by both the Graduate Program Director and the Graduate School. Failure to obtain prior Graduate School approval negates a student's ability to "double-count" courses in an accelerated Early Entry program.
- If an early entry student has not met the normal admission requirements of a 3.0 overall undergraduate GPA at the end of his/her baccalaureate degree, she/he will be dismissed from the graduate program.
- Students accepted into the Data Science and Business Analytics Early Entry Program will be subject to the same policies that pertain to other matriculated graduate students. Generally, it will be assumed that early entry students will finish their baccalaureate degrees before they complete 15 hours of graduate work
Timetable for Gaining Admission to the Early Entry Program
- First semester of junior year -- meet with a Graduate Faculty Director or SDS Director of Student Services to receive advising about the Early Entry program.
- Junior year -- take GRE exams (verbal, quantitative, and analytic parts required).
- Second semester of junior year -- complete and submit an early-entry application for graduate study to the Graduate School.
- End of senior year -- successfully complete requirements for an undergraduate degree, up to 12 hours of undergraduate coursework can be substituted with corresponding graduate courses (and these graduate courses can also be applied to the PSM degree).
- Financial Aid Considerations for Early Entry Graduate Students
- Graduate Admissions – Early Entry
- For questions or more information, contact Carly Mahedy